Sunday, June 29, 2008

Concentric Circles

My second dressage lesson with Anna. Princess is considerably more relaxed, and Anna notices that I've been working on my position. She gets me doing some concentric circles - start off on a 20m circle then wind down to a 5m circle, then back out to a 20m circle. Do a volte if necessary. We use the exercise to correct Princess' falling in and falling out. We correct it every quarter of a circle, then every eight. In the process, we establish how much strength is really required from each of my limbs. It's a lot more outside rein and outside leg than I thought. And a lot less rein overall. The horse travels correctly.

Every now and then, Princess locks up in the jaw and neck. "When she locks up like that, you must try something else", comments Anna. It includes sit forwards/back, lighter/heavier, move your hands up/down/out. I don't realise it at the time, but in many ways this is the statement I have been waiting for. When a horse locks up, listen to it. It's uncomfortable, and it doesn't understand what you're saying. It's not "naughty". You'll never get anywhere with sheer force. Find another way, a better way. Find your own way. One that works for both you and the horse.

After the lesson Anna suggest that I try a thicker bit. A thicker bit will make my hands more forgiving. When a bit is thin, each movement is magnified, so it's not a good idea if you're hands are a bit unsteady. So simple - why didn't anyone tell me this before?

No comments: