Thursday, December 31, 2009

Hard Riding

In comparison to all the problems I have on the ground, the riding is going brilliantly.

I always give Gally a nice warm up, where I keep the rein as loose as possible, and I do walk, trot and canter. A loop of the arena or two, on each rein. During this warm up I just focus on getting the horse going forwards.

Afterwards we get down to business. I shorten my reins, and drive him into the bit. I ask for lightness, and flexion. Once I am happy with the walk, or I feel the horse is getting bored, then I progress into trot. In trot I introduce 20m circles, and once again drive, drive, drive. Finally I will do some cantering, going large in the arena.

Throughout the entire process the main focus is drive forwards, then straightness, then lightness. This has me working very hard with the legs, heels and spurs. It also keeps my hands pretty busy, as opposed to jerky. The hands are busy correcting the horse. If the horse is travelling well, the hands stay still.

After each of these sessions the horse is sweaty, and I am hot (and sometimes sweaty). When I dismount the horse stands still, and almost follows me out of choice to the hitching rail. At the hitching rail the horse stands still, and allows me to take the bridle off without any nodding or rubbing on the rail.

No comments: