Sunday, February 21, 2010

Pony Club

Sabina is off to pony club today. With entourage fit for a queen. Car, float. On the float Gally and Tornado, washed and in their summer rugs. On the car, a bike. In the car, mum and dad.

When we get to the Drouin Pony Club grounds, I quickly saddle up Gally and take him cross country. He goes really really well, and I am almost ready to start jumping the level 3 jumps. Yay. Just need a bit more "click". Pete, Sabina and Tornado (still in his rugs), watch.

Then it's Sabina's turn. Pete helps her to saddle up her pony, helmet on, mum fills out the paperwork and hands over appropriate cheque, and she's ready to ride. While we're in the lesson, Pete quickly gets the bike off the roof, and rides back home.

Meanwhile, in the arena, Sabina is riding all by herself (holding the reins and all), together with about five other little girls. During the trotting, I run alongside her, and just slow Tornado down a touch. Then we practice getting on and off. Of course, with that many beginners in the class, there is a lot of standing around. On the hot sand. In the hot sun.

"Mama, this is boring", Sabina says. "I want to go and do my own thing, and let Tornado do his own thing."

Deep down I laugh. Tornado does too much of his own thing. That's one reason we're here.

We go back to our float for a lunch break.

"Mama, I want some ice cream", declares the flushed, tired, thirsty, hungry little girl.

"I didn't bring any ice cream".

"Mama, you have to bring ice cream", she flares, "go and get it RIGHT NOW!"

I sigh, a deep, mother's sigh. I am saved by a marzipan bar, and we get enough sanity that Sabina is willing to wash her hands and face in a cool bucket of water. Then she has a drink, and we're back to the happy child I am used to. Relief. She is even willing to give back the marzipan bar, and eat a proper lunch. Yay!

In the afternoon, we go for a mock hunt. Basically, we go around the cross country course, walking over a couple of tiny little logs, looking for a hidden parcel or two. Well, maybe the logs are not so little. Tornado gets stuck on one such little log, his belly resting on the jump. It's very funny. Maybe we should have gone in the non-jumping field?

All is well. The parcel is found, and in it is a bag of lollies. We all enjoy a sausage sizzle, a drink and lollies.

"Did you enjoy the day?", I ask on the way home.

"Yes", Sabina responds enthusiastically. "But mama, I need a bigger pony!"

"Oh." In the lesson, Sabina was on the smallest pony. Everyone else thought he was awesome, but obviously she doesn't see it that way. "I'll get you a bigger pony when you learn to canter."

"Ok", she says, "can we learn today?"

No comments: