Sunday, August 31, 2008

Hoof Boots

I take the brand new hoof boots (EasyBoot Epic) out of their boxes, and whack them on. (It takes about 20 minutes, and I am really hoping that I get much faster at this in the future). I grab the reins and lead my horse. Clip clop, bang, clip clop, bang. I stop and stare. Despite all the "noise" the boots are firmly in place. The horse looks surprisingly at ease. When she walks her stride actually seems longer, more relaxed, easy cruisy.

I jump on and ride towards the gate. Every stride I re-assess the boots with trepidation. Are they still on? Have the little clips come undone yet? Yay of little faith!

We ride out through the gates and into the state forest. Trot. And being on Princess, it's not working trot. We've got so much extension that I can see her hooves flicking out the front. Boots still on. Clip clop, clip clop, bang bang. Whenever I can, I check the back hooves. Boots still on. I gain confidence.

We ride up to Dead Cow, down into the valley, and the up the road at canter. And, being Princess, it's not working canter. It's that solid eventing canter, almost a gallop. I forget about the boots, and enjoy the ride, the wind in my hair, the cold air against my nose, the green of the trees rushing by. We reach the top. Exhilerated. I smile.

Oh, and the boots? Yeah, still on. We ride on for another hour, and finally rock up back at the hitching rail, hot, sweaty, and happy with a full set of hoof boots still in place.

The horse and the boots need a wash. Both have done well.

No comments: