Sunday, September 7, 2008

Bewildered

Here I am, at Anna's once again. Sunny day, sand menage. We start with walk, a few circles to the left, a strong half halt when changing direction, a few circles to the right. Engage the hind quarters through the shoulder-in, quarters-in, or the volte. Then halt. And there it is. The feeling of the horse fully on the aids and working into the bit. The halt is perfect. Full of impulsion from behind, and void of resistance. I sit in bewilderment. I had doubts whether this horse could actually do it.

We go on in trot. "Every time you feel her rush forwards, make the circle smaller, engage, then make the circle bigger" advises Anna. Aha. I get the purspose of the concentric circles now.

Sitting trot. The horse is egnaged. "Now drive", says Anna. I drive. And there it is, that "on the aids" feeling again. Wow. In my bewilderment I lose it all. Anna tsk tsks, and instructs on. I feel embarrassed and ecstatic at the same time.

Onto canter. We work on preventing the falling out. It's hard work on the muscles, and after a few circles I feel tired. Princess feels me ease off, and takes advantage of it. I work harder and re-engage the horse. At one point Anna's comments diminish. I'm riding well. The canter is still a far far cry from the walk or the trot, but I can feel a hint here and there, that it too will come good.

I cannot believe we've come this far.

2 comments:

Ellen said...

It's great to read all about your progress with Princess. I must send you some photos I took a couple of months ago to put up here! Congratulations on 'coming so far'!

PS I have now put a blog roll on my blog so I'm alerted when new posts go up. It's way cool!

light.fingers said...

Thanks for the comments. I feel like I should have come this far 10 years ago, but better late than never.

Thanks for visiting. :)