Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Wandin - the Post Mortem

Those horse trials were so much easier than I had ever imagined. It's the first thing that strikes me about the event.

I was really worried about the cross country. In training we had some refusals, a horse that was very difficult to control, and a fall. Yet, when it came to competition day, the adrenaline kicked in, the horse new her job and we just flew around and had a really good time.

And that's the second thing that strikes me. I had a really good time. Previous competitions (showjumping, showing, dressage, combined training) I had been to have been somewhat of a chore sometimes. But here I can honestly say I had a lovely time. Perhaps the support of my girlfriend and my dad contributed. But the eventing crowd really was very friendly and accepting as well. It really felt like a bit of a hoot on the weekend. Something to do when you're not working.

The last thing I notice is that I have lost my immediate urge to become a horse riding coach. I don't want to spend time teaching other people how to have this much fun. I just want to get out there and do this again, and again, and again!

(The longer term plan to become a riding coach is still there. Of course. But before this event I was on the verge of enrolling in a coaching course. Well that plan has definitely been put on the back burner for now.)

So, where are all the eventers heading to next?

No comments: