Monday, June 29, 2009

Horses for courses

So apparently I am intending to do Penninsula Horse Trials with Crownie. Why Crownie, and not Princess?

Good question.

Because of the challenge. Crownie and Princess are two very different horses. And a good trainer can train all types of horses. So, lets not stuff around. By taking on the challenge of trainnig Crownie, I am proving to myself that it's my methods that work, and not the horse's talent.

Because the horse needs a rest. Truth be told, on our last three outings (including the event) Princess did not want to get on the float. Physically she was fine, but mentally she wasn't coping. Now, she's had four weeks of holidays, but this may not be enough. She may need two or three outings before being taken to another event. And there just isn't enough time to do that.

Because I am sick of the racing game. Let's face it. Holding Princess under control in open countryside is REALLY HARD WORK! And I am sick of it. And I need a rest. Phew! Glad I got that out of my system. And what if competing on Crownie is much much easier? And she enjoys it more? And I get a better placing simply because the horse is coping mentally? Isn't it worth a try?

If Crownie ends up not coping mentally, then I'll know there's a problem with my method. And I won't blame the horse. Because at the moment, when I read the judges comment on my dressage test "Rider should relax more", I feel like soothingly saying to the judge "You get on and show me how!!!".

No comments: