Sunday, July 5, 2009

The half halt

The half halt is almost like a legend to horse riders. All coaches swear by it, and request it, while all riders wonder whether it really exists. The aim of the half halt is to slow the horse down instantaneously. It can be followed by a change of gait, or simply to get the horse's attention.

Last weekend's jumping got me thinking. Why wasn't my horse jumping initially? Why was she almost running out and refusing? Well, to cut the long story short, I was riding in a permanent half halt. I feel very sheepish saying this, but all my coaches should feel more sheepish for not picking this up. Or, for not being able to explain it to me. Whichever. I've been thinking about this all week, and today, as we ride out into the forest, I open my body up and ride at the walk in the same manner that I "drive" the horse in canter towards a jump.

By "open my body up" I literally mean feeling like your legs are rotating outwards at the hip, like your knees are rotated outwards, and like you are really sitting on your two seat bones. You heel forms a "claw" like movement together with your buttock. In this position you automatically sit up. If you close up this position, you get the half halt. When you open up again, you get the drive.

Of course I have to verify all this with my coach, Anna. But, as Crownie warms up, I ask for more and more engagement. The head comes up, and I actually feel the legs stepping under. It feels great. And she's not rushing forward. She has the lightest contact on the reins. Can't be too far from "correct".

No comments: