Saturday, October 10, 2009

Pulling faces

Today we're off to Anna's again.

We're in walk and I am asking for more engagement, but it doesn't seem to be quite happening. I can see the ears are back. "He's pulling faces at you, and you're doing nothing", says Anna. "Come on, get on with it".

Later on we're in trot, it feels sluggish, and the ears are back. "He's pulling faces at you again", Anna calls out, almost amused. "What are you doing about it?"

I jab twice with the spurs, nothing. I apply the dressage whip behind my leg. Gally leaps into the air, all four legs off the ground, then trots on with more forward, ears pricked up.

"When he's not going forward, you need to get tougher", says Anna. "And yes, he will leap into the air. You just need to ride him through that. And next time you won't jab him in the mouth." I gulp. I really appreciate the advice and take it to heart. I just wish that I started learning with Anna when I was 20!

No comments: