Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Mistake

Pretty much from the time I have owned Gally I have realised that I make some fundamental mistake when catching him. I've always been able to catch him, but some of his antics have indicated that he doesn't have much respect for me on the ground.

I have asked various people for help, but nothing has helped. What I really wanted is for someone to observe me as I catch him, but I didn't exactly ask for it in those words.

Because of these problems, I have been very strict recently to lead him properly. That is, to be just in front of his shoulder, to not let him rush past, and if he stops to give him a gentle flick of the rope behind me. And this has worked really well.

Today Gally is in a particularly steep part of the paddock when I approach him. I am too lazy to walk right down to his shoulder and I clip the lead rope on while standing in front of him, then pull on the lead rope. He resists. I pull harder and eventually he takes a step forward. As he does so, I feel his respect for me melt away into nothing. This is the fatal mistake.

For some bizzare reason, the action of pulling on the headstall can get him to yield, but it does not build any respect. Whereas when I stand next to him, and flick him with the lead rope, as though it was my tail, he is much happier to respect me, and follow me out of respect.

I used to have a similar problem with Princess, but she was a lot more timid than Gally, and it was easier to "ignore" her.

No comments: