Saturday, October 16, 2010

Friends

I have been observing Gally when I try to catch him, when I work with him, and when I let him go back out to the paddock with his friends.

When I put him out, I try to trick him. I will put him out via a gate, where he cannot see the other horses. Or, I will put him in a paddock by himself. His instant reaction, is to search for his paddock mates, and to round them up.

From this, I have come to the conclusion, that "friendship" and "security" are really important to Gally. Which means that, when I work with him, I must ensure that we are "friends", and that he feels secure.

It's elementary really. We're all like that. I work much better for a boss who comes across as my "friend", and makes me feel secure in my role. But I must admit, that I have never really paid that much attention to these. It's mainly been about "get on and ride" for me. Rather than, "hi, I am your friend, lets make sure you feel secure, and now that you're happy, I might hop on and have a ride".

No comments: