Thursday, October 21, 2010

More about being friendly

So, how do you make friends with a horse? And what is the friendly game?

Well, you make friends with a horse by playing the friendly game. The friendly game is basically a session of stroking, rubbing and scratching in different places, in such a way that the horse finds it enjoyable, and friendly.

For most horses that are well broken in, a normal brushing session is sufficient, in principle. And, this is what I have managed to get away with so far. However, during my standard brushing sessions, I have never observed the horses reactions. Or rather, I have never taken any action based on the horse's reactions.

Princess was notorious for having days when she would pace left and right along the hitching rail. I just used to work around this, sometimes saying nasty things under my breath. Now, notice that Gally and Princess had this special connection - like attracts like. It's just that with Princess you could get away with working around the problem. With Gally, not so. He doesn't pace along the hitching rail. He stands very still, but he turns and bites you as fast as lightening. This made me so uncomfortable, that I had to find a solution.

The difference between ordinary brushing, and playing the friendly game, is that you observe how the horse reacts, and adjust your touching accordingly. If the horse puts his ears back you might change your stroking into scratching, or if the horse has stood very still while you stroke a sensitive area, then you might stop.

The friendly game makes a world of difference with Gally. He basically stops biting and kicking. He also becomes more willing to work for you under saddle - this is where the friendly game has exceeded my expectations.

Personally, I find the friendly game much more interesting and satisfying than brushing. I have always brushed my horses thoroughly - much to the amusement of some. But I did find it boring. Which probably created my "just get on and ride" attitude. The friendly game is a way of interacting with your horse, that is (in some ways) just as much fun as riding. So all of a sudden, I am in no hurry to get on any more, because I am having fun on the ground! How cool is that?!

No comments: