Saturday, January 1, 2011

Start Training

I have always wondered how and when the transition would occur from me being simply a rider, to a horse trainer. I think I have tiptoed around this for years. So when I heard that the neighbours were selling their two horses, I decided to have a look.

When I did have a look, I was quite impressed with what I saw. The horses were reasonably young, and quite keen to work with humans. And so I rang the owners and settled the price. Today we walked the horses back to our property. The walk itself was uneventful - a good sign. And so Dingo, and Princess Lil have come to join our herd.

Dingo is a chestnut pony/galloway (I have to measure him), that will make a superb pony club mount. He is quite showy too. He has a lovely temperament, and is very keen to cooperate. His main problem right now is that he is just too fat! I have no idea how old he is, but he doesn't look too long in the tooth.

Princess Lil is an ex-racehorse. She's definitely got some speed in her, but she seems very trainable, and seems to relax very quickly. On the walk over she was walking with her nose to the ground. She's bay, about 15.2hh, and 9 years old.

The idea now is to train both horses as all rounders. They will get to trail ride, do dressage, jumping and anything else I can possibly think of. Once they are safe and reliable (they may be that already), I will sell them on.

No comments: