Sunday, April 10, 2011

Lilly goes to Adult Riding

Today is Adult Riding Club, and I thought I would take Lilly. I wasn't sure whether I would ride her, but just the experience of going there and coming back would be good for her.

So we got Lilly on the float (more about that some other time), and off we went.

Well, due to dropping my husband off at the start of his cycling race, we were somewhat late. How late? Umm, about 3 hours. Adult Riding Club had basically packed up and gone home. That's right. Not a soul in sight. The only evidence left was a couple of tyre marks in the grass.

Never mind, I unloaded Lilly and put her in the yard. I let her sit there and take it all in, while I ran Sabina across the road to play with her friend.

Then I saddled her up, and lounged her. All going well there, I mounted. Well, she did feel excited, and I quickly came to the conclusion that if you ever took her cross country, she would be a little fire cracker. However, that excited walk was, I think, 99% correct.

Of course, once she calmed down, the walk changed. But I think I now understand what the walk is supposed to feel like.

Once we mastered calmness at the walk, I asked for trot. Mostly good. Some falling out - mainly in the direction of the float. This is a disobedience, but not one I am going to deal with right now.

Towards the end of our session, I was starting to think a canter might go down alright. This is amazing, seeing that we have only just started cantering on the lounge. Of course I didn't canter. Best to finish on a positive note.

No comments: