Sunday, November 13, 2011

Horse going sideways - fixing the problem - part 1

So, horse seriously going sideways out in the state forest - where to from here?

Well, I think you can go in two directions.  You can get the whip out, and get forceful until they do what you want.  Or, you can try to gain their trust, get them to realise that they are safe with you, and do things for you because they know they are safe.  I'm of the latter elk.

Yesterday, I did a lot of calming work in the arena, and it worked well.  Today, it was time to challenge ourselves.  Maybe going back out on the trail was a bit too much of a challenge, so I headed down into the amphetheatre.  To the other arena.  (Hmm ... more about that some other time.)

I walked Lilly down in hand, and already on the way down she was showing me serious insecurities.  Not helped by her friends neighing from up above.  She would try to rush past me, and head up the hill, back to her friends.  I stopped her, by jiggling the lead rope (a move we practice a lot around the hitching rail, and in the arena, and everywhere really) and asked her to back up.

Once down in the arena I did some ground work.  I concentrated on two things - 1) that she does exactly what I ask (no anticipating!) and 2) that she does not invade my space.  Her reward was being allowed in my space, and a pat.  This worked extremely well.  She became very obedient, stopped anticipating, and calmed down a lot.

Then I mounted.  Initially I worked just on a 20m circle - in walk.  In fact, most of the hour was in walk.  We did maybe four circles in trot.  I focused on getting her head down, and keeping her relaxed.  The minute she did a slightly faster stride, I was there with a half halt, and I kept half halting until I felt her relax.  Towards the end it felt wonderful!

On the left rein, of course she tried going sideways.  So I had to be a little bit stronger with my half halts, do them earlier (in preparation), and be firmer with my outside leg and rein.  And every now and then, we challenged ourselves with a bigger circle.  Each time the circle got bigger, Lilly got more excited and was more likely to go sideways.

Finally, we walked up the middle ridge, towards the gate.  Just before the gate, I asked her to turn left and halt.  All good.  Then I opened the gate from atop Lilly, walked her through the gate, and closed it again.  Magic.

Now, the problem is not fixed yet.  But we're on the right track, I think.  I just have to be consistent now, and change the "reaction" (going sideways), into a "response" (trust, calmness, and going forwards).

No comments: