Sunday, July 15, 2007

Dressage on the trails

We are supposed to be doing dressage today, but the paddock is so wet, that I feel sorry for it, for the horse, and for myself. We go out.

It's still dressage out there. We're just going down the long side most of the time. Serpentines and 20m circles are out of the question. The warm up is quite good, with Crownie trotting actively forward - although she is not on the bit. The canters feel like they lack balance.

We do a lot of walking as we explore a new track, and spot a kangaroo hopping along ahead of us. He must be doing jumping. The walking pays off. When I ask for trot, it's nice and smooth and on the bit. The canter is pure velvet. That's on the left rein - Crownie's preferred side. I ask for canter on the right rein, and, to my great disbelief I get it (remember, we're on the long side here). This side leaves a lot to be desired. And then there are the transitions. We walk the last kilometre home, while thinking about them.

No comments: