Sunday, November 8, 2009

Less Parelli, more riding

Today I still play some Parelli games with Gally, but not as many as yesterday. I actually do get bitten while saddling. Sigh. And there's a few more attempts at biting as I lead him down into the arena. In the arena I lounge him, Parelli style. On a 12 foot rope, bit of walk, bit of trot, an obstacle. It's all about changing the exercise and making him aware of my commands, rather than taking steam off him.

When I finish the lunging, I put the bridle on. This goes more smoothly than yesterday, and I am very pleased.

Then of course it's all marred as Gally tries to bite me when I mount up.

When I start riding, I throw the Parelli stuff away, and just ride normal dressage. After about 20 minutes, Gally stops, thinking he is finished. This is actually excellent. This is exactly what he does out on the trail, and now I have a chance to work through it slowly. Incidentally, I am riding without spurs or whip today.

I focus on the timing. He stops, and braces his neck. I wait. I flex him gently with the rein, then I ask him to yield - first with one leg, then with the other. Then he goes forward again.

It appears to be more about ignoring the fact that he stopped, and just asking him to go forward. It's about not venting your frustration at the wrongs, but just trying to get the rights.

For me as a rider, it becomes more about the mental challenge (of not losing my cool) than anything else.

No comments: