Sunday, March 7, 2010

About that spook

We ride out into the state forest, and Gally is spooky once again. He stops and stares at logs and bushes. More so than he did two weeks ago.

Just recently, my dad mentioned that perhaps I am too aware what Gally might spook at, and so he spooks because I expect him to. I think he is half right. Most of the spooking Gally does is at stuff I could never predict would be spooky. So, he doesn't exactly spook because I expect him to. However, I don't think I ride him with enough "we can conquer all" confidence. I don't ride with enough arrogance (maybe because my mother has spent most of her efforts trying to erradicate it from me). I don't ride with enough "we're above it all". I don't ride like I'm going to win the battle.

It's not a physical problem. Physically, I have the skills to ride like that. It's a psychological problem. Poor attitude. Poor focus. It's the little voice talking it up - Gally might take off, or might do one of his "twist left, twist right" tricks. Or he might pig root.

He might do one of those. Or all three. So?

So I start riding like I mean it. And Gally doesn't do a thing. He just gets on with it and goes forward. And I gain confidence. And on the way home we even play around at the edge of a big, but shallow, puddle.

No comments: