Friday, September 24, 2010

First canter



The cousins have left, and the place feels so empty it's eerie. "Do you want to ride your pony?" I suggest to Sabina. She nods.

We get the pony and Crownie as well. For brushing pleasure. Then Sabina suggests I saddle up. Ah, what the heck.

"Mama, let's go in the state forest", suggests Sabina. "But you don't lead me." Oh no no no. I don't think we're up to that yet. So I propose we practice in the paddock first.

Crownie is a long striding horse, and the pony is tiny, so it looks a bit like this. I am up ahead walking, and Sabina keeps falling behind. Then I stop, allow her to catch up, and then we move on again. I encourage Sabina to have a bit of a trot to catch up.

So there I am, in front. I've just come to a stop, and take a look behind me. Oh! My! Goodness! There is my little girl cantering on the pony down the long side of the arena, with the biggest smile across her face that you have ever seen.

She pulls up to a screeching stop, all excited. I praise her immensely.

1 comment:

Ellen said...

That's awesome! Yay Sabina!