Sunday, September 26, 2010

Sabina's lament



"Mama, let's go riding". Sabina on Tornado, me on Crownie, riding around the obstacle course in the arena. You get the picture.

Eventually, Sabina has had enough riding, but I still want to fit in a couple of canters. Sabina happily hops off. Then she takes the bridle off her pony. Tornado is delighted, and sinks his teeth into the knee deep grass. Yummm!

I keep cantering around, totally aware of what is about to happen. When I finish up, Sabina opens the gate, and encourages Tornado to follow her. The little pony runs out with joy, followed by a very upset Sabina.

Eventually we catch Tornado and bring him back to the hitching rail, but Sabina is unconsolable. "Mama, I hate Tornado, I want you to sell him. I want a new pony. You must buy me a new pony." And on it goes.

I sit with her, laughing inside, agonising on the surface. I love the fact that she can be so open and expressive about how she feels. And that she has a good listening ear to throw it all at.

Eventually she calms down, and we can actually work through the situation. The analogy of green grass to Tornado is the same as chocolate cake to a tired Sabina appears to really hit the spot. Sabina opens her eyes wide with disbelief - you mean you actually need a headstall to lead Tornado back to the hitching rail?

No comments: