Sunday, December 19, 2010

Pony Club Trail Ride

We wake up refreshed. Sabina gets dressed, finds Chelsea, and off they go, hand in hand.

My morning is busy with packing up tent, and checking that I have brought all the right gear for the horses. Yes, horses. We're off on a trail ride today. Sabina will be riding Tornado, and I have brought a horse for myself too.

When Sabina hears that Chelsea may not be riding, she almost forgoes the whole activity. Luckily, Chelsea is keen to come along, even if it means riding double on the pony with her older sister.

There is a fair bit of assembling and standing around. Sabina is somewhat impatient. Then when we finally get going, even Tornado is keen to strike up a trot. Sabina is annoyed at her pony, and it takes a fair bit of explaining from me, before she starts being tougher and enjoying herself. But it's great to give her the experience of riding in such a big herd.

After the trail ride, and lunch, Sabina and Chelsea play "house" in the back of the float. One is sweeping, while the other is wiping off the dust. They are welcome in my float any time!

Finally, Santa arrives in a little jog cart. All the children get presents. Sabina ends up with this huge present, the smile on her face even bigger. She rips off the wrapping paper to discover a rock guitar. The smile disappears off her face in a jiffy. "Mama, I didn't want a guitar! I don't even like guitars", she moans. I could do some moaning of my own.

When we get home, Sabina unpacks the guitar, while I unpack the car. (I could really do some moaningnow.) All of a sudden, the unwanted toy comes alive, and becomes the best thing since daily bread. Especially, when Papa gives us his best rock guitarist demo, still in his farm clothing. It has us in stitches.

No comments: