Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Worming



Recently, or maybe not so recently, I wormed the horses. They all were good to work with except for one. Mo. He threw his head up in the air so high and so fast that I was left speechless. There is no way in the world I can fight with that.

Since Mo is kept in a communal paddock he must be wormed on the same day that the other horses are wormed. So I had to sit there and think a bit.

When my husband built the hitching rail, he built it pretty solid. Big, thick, strong logs.

So I got my super strong (cost me a fortune) head stall and lead rope, put that on Mo, and wrapped the lead rope around the hitching rail twice. I held the left over end, and took a step towards Mo, worming paste visibly in my hand.

The head went up, I let the rope slip over the hitching rail a bit, but not too much. Once the horse came down, I tightened it again. Then Mo realised the fight was on. Well, we got mini rears, little rears, a big rear or two. The struggle lasted for about 10 minutes, then Mo arched his neck and licked his lips.

I cocked a leg and waited. After all, he was a good boy for just not pulling back. Then I approached him, and just slid the worming paste in the side of his mouth, squeezed the siringe, and we were done. No more fuss.

I stood back looking at the horse and gave myself a little pat on the back.

No comments: