Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Princess Lil's progress


(Princess Lil is on the right).

I have now started working with Princess Lil. I find her a fantastic horse to work with - really quick to learn and very easy going. However, I would like to caveat this with the fact that Gally had taught me some serious lessons. If I didn't have this knowledge I think Princess Lil would be proving to be a bossy challenge.

So far I have used the friendly game to get her used to being touched all over her body. I do a little bit of mane pulling in every session as well. I have lounged her - all good there. She went swimmingly in both directions. I did manage to get her a little bit stressed out, and all she did was three strides of a panicked canter, before settling down to a canter and then a trot.

I like to see a horse get uptight on the lounge - it allows me to see what they do in a stressful situation. Do they buck? Pigroot? Rear? Run away madly? It also allows me to see how much energy is required to get them to stress out. Is it a careless hand movement? Or do I need to crack the whip?

I have also played some games with her on the ground. This allows me to assess her level of respect for me. In Princess Lil's case I need to do a bit more work in this space.

Finally, I have saddled and bridled her. I have played around with the bit and got her to flex - all on the ground still. I have thumped the stirrups and the saddle, and I have swung myself across the saddle. She barely blinked an eyelid.

No comments: