Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The hoon horse

I have realised something really important. Horse riding, in my life, fulfills two distinct (and almost opposing) purposes. One purpose is time out. The other purpose is the art of training.

When horse riding is used for time out I head out bush and get lost for three hours, and I gallop. This behaviour is also known as:
  • hooning
  • fanging it
  • racing with the wind
  • flying, reins loose, arms out to the sides, screaming "yeeee-haaaar!!!"
  • using up the juice
  • letting it all out
  • burning rubber
  • sending sparks
  • getting a breath of fresh air
  • creating dust
  • kicking up mud
(Rest assured I don't gallop for the full three hours, and my horse is well looked after, both throughout the ride, afterwards, and in between rides.)

The long and short of it is, that I need a horse that's my "hoon horse". A reliable steed that I can just jump on and get out there and enjoy the wind in my face. I might still take my hoon horse to competitions, but his primary purpose is to be the hoon horse. The fun horse. The everything horse.

Crownie used to be the perfect hoon horse. She is now happily retired, although we often reminisce about those days as I scratch her wither under the shade of a tree.

Now Dingo wears the title.

No comments: