Sunday, August 2, 2009

The core of the problem

I haven't resolved the problem, but I keep working my horse.

I know that I don't have the most stable hands, so I glue them to the saddle blanket, and let Gally wander around the round yard. I ask for trot, the ears go back. Obviously, hands are not the problem.

Since he seems comfortable enough in the walk, I take him on a tour of the haying paddock. He tries really hard as we walk up the hill, and stays totally calm as we take in the awesome view from the top gate.

When we are finished I unsaddle him at the hitching rail as normal. And just out of curiosity, I run my hand along his back on the left side. All good. I do same on the right. Ouch! The ears dart back, the back dips. There's my problem.

I think about how the horse felt before I bought him. There could have been a mild stiffness there, but he wasn't sore. Not like this. This is a problem I created. Great!

I write myself off as a hopeless rider and trainer. I don't know why I'm still bothering. All my dreams fall in a heap at my feet. I am ready to give up and throw in the towel. But wait. Wait. If I am sitting wrong, then that saddle is "allowing" me to sit wrong. And maybe that saddle doesn't fit as well as I initially thought? But if I was a really good rider, I could ride well in any saddle. So, I am just hopeless at this, and should give up now before I do more damage.

No comments: