Friday, August 28, 2009

Don't kick

Gally is a smart horse. And any smart horse tries to be the boss of the herd. That includes me. So Gally is trying some neat little tricks, like sniffing my back while I am brushing him. This can quickly turn into fumbling with the lips, then gentle nipping, then biting. I shrug (literally) off his advances.

The other thing he tries is cow kicking when I am doing anything around his back side. It can be brushing, or putting the saddle on, or doing up his rugs. I have already seen how the saddle fitting lady gave him a firm pat on the back side for each kick, and how easily and quickly it worked. My husband suggested that I try using a short crop on him, as it will extend my reach, and keep me at a safer distance.

So, here I am, brushing Gally, brush in one hand, crop in the other. Every time the leg lifts, snap. It's not a brutal whack, far from it, just a firm snap. The crop is lifted a mere 10-15cm off his backside. Then I notice that just before he tries to kick, he swishes his tail. So, everytime the tail swings, I give him a quick snap. Within seconds I have a very obedient horse standing at the hitching rail.

No comments: