Saturday, May 8, 2010

Inside leg

During my last couple of rides on Gally it became really obvious to me that the inside leg does a lot more than just sit there. It asks the horse to step under with his hindqurters, it asks the horse to yield and therefore to flex. When the horse flexes, the inside leg can step under more, then more flexion can be achieved, and the horse can carry himself.

Today I test this out on Crownie, in a bid to improve her dressage. Firstly in the halt. I bend her neck with the rein and ask her to move away from my inside leg. The head goes up as she tries to walk forwards. No, this is not what I am asking for, the lowly held rein bending her neck prevents her from rushing off. It does not prevent her from walking forwards - but then she has to follow the tight circle dictated by the rein. This is not exactly what I want, but it's a good effort.

I repeat the exercise multiple times on both reins, until the hind quarters start swinging out.

Then I repeat the exercise in the walk. Walk straight 5 metres, then do a volte. Drive the volte with the inside leg. It is amazing to see that after we leave the volte, Crownie's neck remains flexed and arched for two strides. That's what we're aiming to get all the time.

Then of course I need to take this into the trot and the canter.

No comments: