Saturday, May 29, 2010

TTT Horse Trials - Day 1

It takes me forever and a bit to get ready, but finally the show - me, float, horse and more gear than you can imagine - are on the road. I sms my team member. She's already there and replies that it's wet, muddy and slippery. Great.

When I arrive, Wandin is buzzing. Cars, trucks, floats, horses, makeshift yards. I have no idea where my team member Anita might be, and park myself where it looks suitably dry.

There must be well over 600 people here, but somehow, within minutes I manage to find Anita, friends Kris and Jen and an assortment of other eventers that I now "know". That's a big change from last year. But my fan club of Dad and Christine aren't here this time around. Never mind. I've had a shocking week and am happy to just get ready by myself.

I gaze at Crownie, and consider plaiting. I guess I have to start at some point, Crownie is probably the right horse to start with, and the occasion sufficiently momentous. Six plaits in, and Kris comes over to show me how to saw up the plaits into bubbles. Man, she's a pro at this. The little bubbles come out looking fantastic.

Saddle up, get dressed, and start warming up. I must admit that I am nervous. After all, it was at this very same place, that 3 months ago I competed on Gally and things slowly went out of control. At least that's how I view it now. But since then I've had two very significant lessons with Mark. I apply his teachings in my warmp up, and within minutes I am at ease and focusing on how well the horse is going, rather than whether the horse is in control.

The dressage test goes well. I probably would have like a bit more relaxation, but it's done and I am relieved.

As the day crowd retreats, we put the horses in the yards, I move my car next to Anita's, just a cooee from Kris and Jen. We put up the tent in between the cars, and the bonfire in front of the tent. Perfect!

Dinner is delicious. Sleep is blissful.

No comments: