Sunday, April 12, 2009

Dream canter

With Crownie broken I have all morning to focus on Princess. We ride out. The aim of the ride is to test out my newly found level of control.

I get the odd hesitation as we head down Invert track. Then I ask for trot up Stanley Vale road. All good in trot, I ask for canter. It's a dream. Gone is the grab of the bit, the stiff neck and the out of control horse that won't stop till we get back home. This is a brilliant cross country canter. Full of strength and power, bowling along with a keen eye and alert ear.

Half way up the hill I bring her back to trot. Then canter on the other lead.

At the top of the hill we return to walk and amble along all the way home. As we head back up Invert track, I sit forward and hold the reins at the buckle. The horse keeps walking. I do my ultimate test of horse control. I take the phone out of my pocket and take a photo.

No comments: