Saturday, April 4, 2009

Sold!

The weather has been sensational for the last 10 days. But today, as people are due to arrive to view my horses for sale, the heavens open up. It pours mercilessly as the first vehicle pulls in, and I can barely see the horses in the paddock.

"That's the Clydie cross, the one looking at us", I scream at the visitors over the wind and rain. The power goes out. I get a break in the weather when it's time to ride. Throughout the ride I keep updating the prospective buyers on what I am doing, why, and what they would need to do to get this horse going. Tosca is reluctant, she doesn't want to trot, and at the end she rears. Great. "I don't suppose you want to ride?". The lady shakes her head. She looks pale.

Heavens open up and I struggle to lead a frustrated horse back to the hitching rail. The prospective buyers "umm" and "ahh" for a while. Tosca turns left and right. This is pretty good behaviour for her. I get drenched. The lady is about to walk away, when the guy blurts out "look, I have a good feeling about this one". He hands over the right amount of money. Sold.

We get her on the float and soon they disappear in the rain.

(This is exactly what "not to do" when buying a horse.)

No comments: