Monday, April 13, 2009

Self preservation

During the week I read an article on Eventing in Thailand. Somewhere in the article I read something along these lines:

"... if you push them [horses] too hard during cross country, they go into self preservation mode, where they will just grab the bit and keep galloping ..."

The penny drops. Self preservation. The grabbing of the bit, the stiff neck, the galloping away like there is no tomorrow. That's 100% Princess. I've never heard it coined so well. Or maybe I just wasn't ready to hear it. Either way, my horse's big secret is out.

She is so worried about everything, that she just goes into self preservation mode. In addition, if I ask for something that requires more fitness than she has, she also goes into self preservation mode. And she is such a strong and athletic horse, that she can afford to stay in this mode for an entire ride. Be it an hour, or two, or three.

My attitude does a 180 degree turn. I can't wait for tomorrow, to test this out.

No comments: